Maine Medicare Insurance Plans
To qualify for Maine Medicare, you must be over the age of 65 or under 65 with a qualifying disability. Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) is provided through the government and helps cover some of the costs associated with medical and hospital care. However, Maine Medicare does not cover everything. If you have additional needs, you might want to consider enrolling in one of the following plans provided through private insurance companies:
- Maine Medicare Advantage Plans: These plans cover all that Original Medicare covers but might also include prescription drug coverage, vision, dental and/or hearing benefits.
- Maine Medicare Part D Plans: Part D plans cover costs of prescription drugs.
- Maine Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans: Medicare Supplement Insurance, or Medigap plans, fill in the cost gaps in Original Medicare coverage.
Maine Medicare Savings Programs
If you need help covering the costs of your Maine Medicare plan, you have three Medicare Savings Programs (MSPs) to choose from, including:
- Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMBs): Maine pays all Medicare Part B premiums and Part A and Part B deductibles and copayments for individuals with a monthly income under $993 and couples with a combined income under $1,331 per month.
- Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLMBs): The state pays for Medicare Part B premiums for individuals with a monthly income under $1,187 and couples with a combined monthly income under $1,593.
- Qualified Individuals (QIs): The state of Maine pays for Medicare Part B premiums for individuals with a monthly income under $1,333 and couples with a combined income under $1,790 a month.
Additionally, if you find that you need assistance with the cost of your prescription drugs, you can apply for the Low-Income Subsidy, also known as the federal Extra Help program. If you are a Maine resident and make less than $17,505 annually or $23,595 combined as part of married income, then you qualify for this assistance. Once you enroll in Extra Help, you will be responsible for fewer costs associated with your prescription drugs and will not enter the donut hole, also known as the coverage gap.
Similar to the Extra Help program, you can qualify for the Maine Rx Plus program, which helps reduce the costs of prescription drugs for those who qualify. If you qualify for this program, you could save up to 15% on brand name drugs and up to 60% on generic drugs.
Maine State Health Insurance Assistance Program
Medicare is a complicated program. Let the Maine State Health Insurance Assistance Program help you answer any questions you might have about the Medicare program and its costs and benefits. If you want to compare Maine Medicare insurance plans, use the Medicare Solutions plan finder tool to compare plans side-by-side that are available in your area. You can then find the right plan for all of your individual needs.